Unnecessary Luxury

Friday, August 8, 2008


I don't know why but I suddenly wanted to blog about this.

Why is it that some nail polishes are so damn expensive? Functionally, they only serve as a layer of coating on top of your nails. That's it! A coating! Why would some people spend 100 over thousand on a bottle of nail polish when the money can be used for something much more useful?

If it were other products like powder, which will damage your skin if it's not a good powder, I can understand. But nail polish? Cheap nail polish don't eat away the keratin in your nails.

People probably buy expensive nail polish for a 'better, nicer colour'. But still I don't see the point in that. Surely the mediocre-priced polishes can achieve a colour not far from that. And those nice colours you want to wear to impress other people? Yeah, impress them for the first time, they go 'wow' and then that's it. Wear that colour again for the next three weeks and people get bored of it. Not much worth it for a teeny bottle of 100 thousand rupiah paint.

Are there people who buy nail polish bcause they are branded? I hope not... 'Cause it's not like you can show off the brand anyway. It's nail polish. You don't swipe them on your nails and make little LV logos appear miraculously.


Speaking of branded stuff, some people are hungry for them. If you have 2 or 5 branded items, I can understand. But if ALL your items are branded... well okay. If you happen to be a teenager, you must be rich and spoiled. Fine, I'm feeling feisty today. I hope no one gets offended by anything I've said (and will).

But it's the truth. We all know it's not even your money that was used to buy those stuff. You know what comes into people's minds when they see a walking branded advertisement? 'Man, that girl/boy must have rich parents. And they spend their cash like spoiled kids who don't know the worth of money.'



I won't even be stereotypical about that, so I will say SOME people think like that. I do. I don't know about rich kids, maybe they think 'Oh shit! That girl/boy has that LV bag I want! I must ask Dad for more money so I can get it before more people do. Then I can show who's the rich trendsetter here!'


Okay again I stress I do not wish to stereotype. But for god's sakes! What is wrong with youth these days?? I sound so fucking old talking like this, so you better appreciate it. Why are they being so scared of the way they look? Why are they 'insecure' without being clothed in pricy items? Not all teenagers, some. I find that instead of worrying so much about how you look and how people think about you, it's better to just concentrate on other things, like, much as this is cliched, your studies.



I'm not saying you abandon your fashion sense and look like a total pig the next day. THE MORAL IS, that teenagers should stop spending so much money for things they don't even need. You can tell me 'I have so much money anyways, what am I going to do with all that?'. Bah. You think you're soooo rich. Imagine this scenario.

You're young and you always dress in branded goods. Your friends know you as the super rich, high-maintenance boy/girl. 10 years later at a reunion, when you've just lost your job and is broke as hell, they're going to laugh at you. Oh you were such a show-off with your parent's money, but look at you now! Didn't know how to limit your spendings back when you were young, and now you're broke and living in the dumps 'cause you've spent all your savings on some Prada shoes that you couldn't even wear without having blisters on your foot.

On the other hand, Delilah (or something, give me a name), who was dressed in rags back in the days, is now clutching the arms of the boss who fired you, dressed in diamantes! Ice, baby, ice!


Anyways.

Teenagers are basically feeding off the hard-earned money that their parents have saved up. Though I'm a teenager myself, I never like it when I buy anything super expensive (feel bad for my parents). I'm not even poor. My parents are quite rich, but they've always taught me to save up for any emergencies. I always try to look at an item and consider how often I'm going to use it, and if it's worth the money. Buy some expensive shit once a while is okay. But if you open your wardrobe and it's full of expensive things you hardly even use, you know now you're on the wrong track.









PS: I was looking for some expensive goods' pictures and its price to show you guys, and I came across this picture:

Zoom in on it:


Ohmygod. The design is simply wonderful. My fav monogram. It's called Louis Vuitton Monogram Watercolor btw. So you wouldn't think I'm a hypocrite, I'd like to state that even though I like this bag a lot, I wouldn't purchase it. No, seriously. And again, I sound so fucking old in this post. Bah. Maybe I am old at heart. -.- riiiiight...

Labels: , ,



news


My portfolio/design blog www.vinakosasih.com

Currently still under construction. But I promise it will be up within a few months!


profile

person(s) reading now . <3

Photobucket

Hello. This blog was created for me to store memories. Because... I have a bad memory. hehe



juice-22 EST.2006

Find me on:
deviantART / twitter / tumblr




tagboard




to-do


graduate
christmas break
meet my family
meet gucci polo
meet totoro


shopping list


some simple t-shirts
check out Pull & Bear in London


friends


archive


participate


Website Visitor Tracking


Blog design, logo and images © Juice-22