
Guess what I found when I was clearing up my old BBS books from my bookshelf! Yes, BBS students who were there during my era, it's Flying Pig!
Flying Pig is a manga magazine consisting of a compilation of mangas created by Bina Bangsa's very own students. We called ourselves the Comic Society. Yes, I said 'we'. As in I was in it too. So why is my name not in this manga list...........?

Don't get me wrong here... I was enthusiastic about making comics. Really, I was. The problem was... when I created the first page of my comic... well, it was without a certain light of inspiration. That's why I told Mr Ronal I refused to make any comics. He told me to do it at home but after some process which I am too lazy to type out, in the end, I didn't make a comic after all but I did have two pages of my drawings in this mangazine. At the end of my time in BBS, I got an F for my CCA.
Anyway enough of me. Let's get to the object of interest. Yeah so at the topmost picture, that's the cover. I drew the two girls at the bottom left =p
And I'm not going to take pictures of every single page, but here are my Top 3 Favourite manga pieces in Flying Pig! In order of appearance in the zine.
1.
Yubikiri -
Beatrice Tedja

Omg! Bete's manga looks so darn professional. People who see those pages would think it's made by a real mangaka. She's super talented, it's a known fact around BBS. Check out all those line effects! Superb! Her effects made this manga fast-paced and exciting. The storyline is also interesting so far. There's also a nice flow from one panel to the next.
2. Journey to the Best - Ken Darmadi
This manga made me lol. I mean... the amusement in seeing the characters in this manga depicting our very own BBS students. Iceman's drawings are also proportionally precise, which is always a good thing to see since many amateur drawers can never accomplish that. And on another note, I irk seeing Hendhy's tooth, and his odd...very odd...head... poor Wesley. It's not your fault that Hendhy wants you.
First things first, that's quite an impressive drawing on the cover and I also love the picture of the BBS building. I mean... I didn't know Sugiri could draw o__o Not that I mean any offence, but since we resided on different floors and I don't really have a class with him or anything, I just never knew. This manga is also very funny. I wish I could see the continuation of it...
And that wraps up my Top 3 list! Here are some additional juice from Flying Pig... such as... my very own drawings gasp!
The first one, printed somewhere in the middle of the mangazine, was assigned by Mr Ronal. It was actually meant to be printed out as flyers before the publishing of Flying Pig, but it ended up there. Yeah, yeah, I know the words "Flying Pig" is too damn big and bold. I inked it all in very hurriedly in the last minute, even had to borrow Susan's rotring and all (thanks Suze!).
The second one was an artwork I created during class quite a long time ago. It wasn't meant to be for Flying Pig, but since Mr Ronal asked for another, I thought I'd hand that one in. I had to ink all the lines in though and didn't have time (or motivation) to screentone it or colour/ink in the background. It's printed on the very last and final page of the mangazine.
And last but not least, let me show you a peek of Mr Ronal's manga. He is my art teacher.


Whoo that's impressive isn't it? I really like that panel with the sign "The Blue Bell" Nice drawings, good proportions, shadings, preciness. This is why he is our art teacher :)
Oh, and, going out of topic a little here, but Happy Chinese New Year everyone!
Labels: Beatrice Tedja, flying pig, Ken Darmadi, magazine, manga, Ronal Krizmas, Sugiri Hernawan