Mindset

Friday, April 24, 2009


Allow me to share with you all this wonderful video, a Louis Vuitton ad. The genius behind all that design is Takashi Murakami, a designer I came across while watching a documentary of Hayao Miyazaki.

These days I have been doing tons of self-learning. And every day I learn something new. I borrow books and audiovisuals from the library. I read/watch them, I study them. And I try to get inspired. The world of creativity is so interesting indeed! There is so much to explore. Back in high school I would never even think about studying if there is no test or exam. Why would I sit down and read up on say, Biology? It just wasn't part of my interest.

But this, I am really quite amazed. A lazy being such as myself to actually get into the habit of self-learning. I guess this is what's called taking responsibility of being a student (mygod, Vina!). Besides, who am I to complain? Since I was born, never have I been exposed to a library with so much valuable information! So vivid and rich. I am just absorbing all these while I still have the privilege of doing so.

And it really is quite the inspiration to break down the meaning behind an artist's creation. That LV ad for example, has quite a deep meaning behind those flower designs with smiling faces.

"I set up this studio here more than ten years ago. An industrial waste
station is directly right behind us with a small rice patch. This is a very...
unnatural environment. As I live here I find dandelions growing in the yard. A
lot of them are deformed. The air is dirty here. It's full of pollution. In this
environment dandelions still grow. They have terribly deformed flowers. Some of
them are so thin. Looking at these flowers makes me realise that, deformed or
not, plants or even we human beings still continue to live. ... ... ... ...
That's exactly why I put a smiling face on my flowers. By that, I add the
message "Look at them. Even unnatural flowers smile and strive to
live.""

-Takashi Murakami

Quoted from the DVD "Ghibli: The Miyazaki temple"

I find it quite amazing how inspiration comes to people. We all need to learn to see the things around us, think and reflect upon it. Who knows what may come up.

Yesterday I also watched Miyazaki's film Whisper of the Heart. The heroine wrote a translation of the song "Take Me Home, Country Roads" but changed the lyrics to "Concrete Road". It spoke of her hometown, West Tokyo and how it's all concrete. Then I saw scenes of her walking in the town and even though yes, it is all concrete, messy and dull, there is somewhat a very beautiful, rough feel to the scenery. I loved it. Studio Ghibli does a very good job with their visuals. For if I were to see that place in real life I would probably just pass it as some kind of dirty place, but seeing it in that movie creates a deeper attachment to the setting.

Then the thought came to me that if Japan could make its city concrete roads beautiful to audiences why can't Indonesia (we have so much more concrete in our cities)? Maybe when I go home to Jakarta, hopefully, I can see the city in a whole new light. I guess grey roads, dusts, rusting walls have their own value of beauty too in a way. And my country has so much natural resources - we practically have the second highest level of biodiversity in the world! I do hope this enlightenment isn't just caused by nostalgia from our separation and I do hope it will last.

Anyway, I've written enough. My stomach is feeling a bit empty even though I had tons to eat and barely did anything today except watch videos and play Restaurant City. And I can't write very well when the tummy's lonely... Though eating some more would be a bad bad idea... Oh what to do...

Labels: , , ,



news


My portfolio/design blog www.vinakosasih.com

Currently still under construction. But I promise it will be up within a few months!


profile

person(s) reading now . <3

Photobucket

Hello. This blog was created for me to store memories. Because... I have a bad memory. hehe



juice-22 EST.2006

Find me on:
deviantART / twitter / tumblr




tagboard




to-do


graduate
christmas break
meet my family
meet gucci polo
meet totoro


shopping list


some simple t-shirts
check out Pull & Bear in London


friends


archive


participate


Website Visitor Tracking


Blog design, logo and images © Juice-22