
Hooray I've completed Serah Farron's necklace :D Above is the official photo of the necklace. Below are pictures I've found from DeviantArt, other cosplayers' DIY necklaces. The images copyright respective owners:
reference A
reference B

So having all that as reference, I started with mine.
Materials used:
- DAS Modelling Clay
- Wire
- Strong scissors
- Gouache
- Necklace chain
I bought DAS modelling clay because it can harden when left to air-dry so there was no need to oven bake it. It's much more convenient that way for me.

First, pull a chunk off and roll it up into a ball, approximately this size.

Then gently shape it into the foundation shape of the necklace, which is round at the top and tapering downwards, getting thinner. If you look at the reference photos, the tail is separate from the head (ref B), or it's attached separately (ref A). But I find that it complicates things and by attaching it separately as in A, and it is susceptible to falling off many times :(
or, it might just be my inadequacy as a sculptor. Heehee.
So! My own solution was simply to just mould it as one structure.

This must be my favourite part of making the necklace. As you can see, there is a blue (or... silver-blue?) gemstone set within the head. So let's make the concave structure!
Simply place your thumb
and press! (gently)

Voila! We now have completed the necklace foundation.

To make the swirly thing around the necklace, take a small piece of clay and roll it into this thin shape.
Proceed to wrap the tail with this, and press it to the body gently. But make sure it sticks well (I found it really annoying to do personally).
Yes I'm aware that the swirling thing is flat and not round, so let's get to that stage! Using your thumb and index finger,

pinch gently~

Repeat that for the whole swirly thing and now we have completed the whole shape of the necklace.

Next get your wires ready. I don't recommend using wires that are as thick as mine. Obviously, I only used what I had. lol. But remember not to get one that's too thin either.

Using your scissors, cut a decent length off the wire. Then poke one end of it down the crown of the pendant and out through the upper-back. And just make a little loop to make sure it's closed tight. Mine's ugly so do it your way.
I'm not much of a crafter so I didn't know what to use to paint clay. But anyway, I bought a small tube of silver gouache. It seemed to work, though sometimes I see a bit of glitter on my fingers after touching the pendant. Just a bit though, so if you're as clueless as I am, and you're not too much of a perfectionist, gouache is the answer, guys!
Oh and I also didn't know whether you were supposed to mix gouache with water. But I did anyway, just a bit of water though.
For the blue gem, I passed by a beads shop and found a round, blue thing. Perfect! It was 50% off too. I put a generous amount of wood glue inside the bowl-like structure, put the gem in, and left it to dry.
Wood glue, in my opinion, was the best $3.50 I've spent. It works on everything and it's very durable. I can't imagine my life without wood glue. If you craft things, invest on it now.
For the chain of the necklace, I bought a weird necklace for $1. The shop was closing down so I made a grab at it. You can buy your own chain, but personally I think it's easier to buy a necklace since everything is already attached.

I destroyed the ring that attached the pendant to the chain with my mighty scissors. You probably should use pliers but I didn't have one so I used what I had. :3

I gave the chain a bit of silver paint since it was quite dirty. It was $1 after all. Then I put the chain through the wire loop on the pendant, and I'm done!!!

That was really fast and quite easy to make!
Oh and yes I am aware that I didn't make an engagement ring, but I was too lazy and the clay kept breaking so I thought... forget it. Yes, I'm not a perfectionist. Hope this tutorial was useful for Serah-to-be's. Looking forward to my photoshoot late September!
Ciao!
Labels: cosplay, final fantasy 13, final fantasy XIII, necklace, serah farron, snow, tutorial