Hellooooo my sweet cherry pies!
This will be a real short one.
I have spent two days stationary except for my fingers here in front of my laptop creating my a portfolio to apply for internships. I've sent out to 6 companies but the ones I really want are just 2 out of the bunch.
Weary as I am right now, I am thrilled with the progress I have developed regarding interactive pdfs (to which I must say... pdf is already inadequate and I'd move on to swf) and the wonderful row of new functions in InDesign CS5 for interactivity. For the first time in my life I animated a document. I felt this familiar thrill as I fiddled with the commands, it brought me back to the good old days when I was a geeky little kid not even ten in round glasses and braces designing my website for the first time and fiddling around with HTML, CSS and Javascript. What a wonderful childhood memory that was. Anyway, hope I get responses from the design studios so I wouldn't have to spend 4 months doing nothing useful over the summer break.
Uni will be over in 3 weeks.
I bought the book Lolita written by Vladimir Nabokov. Yes, I'm aware of the plot, but what can I say... dark unusual things always interest me. And a story written from the perspective of a pedophile should be quite the subject. I've read a bit today, and I must state that Nabokov is a brilliant author. Now THAT is what I call a superb writing style. His sentences fascinate me endlessly. He is adept at wordplay. Brilliant, brilliant! I have never come across a book where I read solely to enjoy the English language laid out in the author's distinctive, witty style.
Here is an excerpt I enjoyed today:
Clumsily playing my part, I stomped to the bathroom to check if they had taken my English toilet water; they had not; but I noticed with a spasm of fierce disgust that the former Counselor of the Tsar, after thoroughly easing his bladder, had not flushed the toilet. That solemn pool of alien urine with a soggy, tawny cigarette butt disintegrating in it struck me as a crowning insult, and I wildly looked around for a weapon. Actually I daresay it was nothing but middle-class Russian courtesy (with an oriental tang, perhaps) that had prompted the good colonel (Maximovich! his name suddenly taxies back to me), a very formal person as they all are, to muffle his private need in decorous silence so as not to underscore the small size of his host's domicile with the rush of a gross cascade on top of his own hushed trickle.
The thing about reading it, it's fun!
Labels: cs5, inDesign, interactive, lolita, pdf, swf, vladimir nabokov