Ever since I could recall, Mom was always there tending to me and my brother's needs. She cooked our meals, kept the house spick and span, and she disciplined us. She was what she was in my eyes, a 'mother' as I understand it.
But recently I realised how Mom offered ice cream when she noticed my face was fresh from crying. Two days ago she comforted me when I cried (again). Yesterday, Mom, bro, and I sat in the living room sofa, watching TV, reading, playing with the dogs. It was weird, it felt like we were friends hanging out. And then she stood up and brought me a soft blanket, then sat back down and moved her knee in a cute manner in attempt to tease our younger dog Polo. I watched her and in my eyes she seemed young, she seemed my age. In that moment I felt no barrier and yet respect. She was like a friend and still she nurtures us. She is human and she has done her best to make this family work. She balances and harmonises. I was a bit moved when I understood this, so I stood up and kissed her temple.