Student Recipe: Tomato Mushroom 'Risotto'

Wednesday, March 30, 2011


I didn't have much ingredients at home so I experimented with what I had. You know, it's just how it is as a student. You don't always have a fridge packed with meat, vegs, and fruits. (read: coke, chips, take-away, and beer?)


Ingredients:
1 cup of cooked rice
approx. 250ml of tomato paste
approx. 70g mushrooms
1/2 onion (diced)
Garlic, as much as you like
1 egg
1 tablespoon mayonnaise (Kewpie)
1 slice of KRAFT Singles cheese


Steps:
  1. Wash rice and while you wait for it to cook, prepare other ingredients.
  2. Dice onions into small cubes. If you notice in the picture, I used diced carrots as well, but after eating I don't think carrots suit the overall taste so I think just leave that out.
  3. Dice garlic finely.
  4. Beat the egg.
  5. Cut the cheese into smaller slices.
  6. When rice is cooked, let it cool so it isn't too sticky.
  7. Turn on the stove, throw in some cooking oil, wait for it to heat, then start with the onion.
  8. When garlic turns yellow-ish, insert onions.
  9. When onions begin to soften, insert mushrooms.
  10. Stir fry everything for some time, and pour in 1/3 or 1/2 of the tomato paste. Add salt and pepper.
  11. Push everything to one side, then put in the cooked rice.
  12. Mix everything, then add the remaining tomato paste.
  13. After all is evenly mixed, push everything to one side, then throw in the egg. Let it cook for a few seconds, (do not let it harden) then quickly mix everything together. This will make the rice sticky, korean-style.
  14. Next, add in the slices of cheese. Stir everything so the cheese melts.
  15. When you are about to finish, don't forget one tablespoon of mayonnaise. I recommend Kewpie mayo, it's from Japan and tastes awesome. Don't stir it in flame for too long, and transfer everything to a big bowl.


No meat there, and basic ingredients only!
It doesn't taste amazing, but it's pretty good and it's edible. You can add any other extra ingredients that you like really, it's so experimental.



Taste rating:
3.3/5


The texture of the rice is almost like risotto!


Labels: , ,



news


My portfolio/design blog www.vinakosasih.com

Currently still under construction. But I promise it will be up within a few months!


profile

person(s) reading now . <3

Photobucket

Hello. This blog was created for me to store memories. Because... I have a bad memory. hehe



juice-22 EST.2006

Find me on:
deviantART / twitter / tumblr




tagboard




to-do


graduate
christmas break
meet my family
meet gucci polo
meet totoro


shopping list


some simple t-shirts
check out Pull & Bear in London


friends


archive


participate


Website Visitor Tracking


Blog design, logo and images © Juice-22