Twilight

Saturday, November 1, 2008


Warning: May contain spoilers of the book Twilight.

I have been a fan of vampire stories since I was approximately at the age of 13. I've read loads of stories online created by fellow fans, and bought this book I immediately fell in love with:





The world of vampire romance was so overwhelming. I dreamt as a little girl that maybe I would one day meet a vampire too. Vampires - pale, skinny, black-haired, intense eyes, mysterious - they are assets that are so attractive to me, and yes, I am a freak for vamps.

So when all of my friends started raving about this certain book by Stephenie Meyer called "Twilight", I was curious. They were so obsessed with this thick volume, and they insisted I read it too.

Yesterday, I finally borrowed the book from Susan. Well, I'm done with the book by now, it took me slightly less than 10 hours to finish it, and let me just say, though I might get hate letters for this, that Twilight is

SO OVERRATED.



Yes sure, Edward Cullen sounds hot. But that's just what this book is about. Orbiting about how physically appealing the Cullens are, and how Edward and Isabella whisper lines of "I want to be with you forever", and "don't leave me", or "stay by my side" over and over again throughout 498-pages.

It was so easy for them to be obsessed about each other, there wasn't any interesting challenge in it. I barely see any mystery or twist of plot. Yes indeed, what I mean is Edward Cullen is not very mysterious for a vampire.


This book is so... SO predictable. I knew everything that was going to happen before I even reached the part. I knew that in the end, Bella will for sure be bitten by Edward. Too obvious. I knew also, when I read the part about the Cullens not preying on humans, that in the middle of the story, there is sure to come a clan of human-devouring-vampires, that will want to have Bella for themselves, which will lead her to be severely injured and saved by Edward in the last minute.

Such a predictable plot. Later on in the series, I bet there would come another guy who is attracted to Bella and he will be a strong rival. I'm sure there will also be a part where Edward will have to leave Bella but come back for her eventually. Oh and what about a scene where Edward will face a close-to-death experience and Bella would cry her eyes out? Maybe there will also be a part where Bella suddenly unleashes her vampiric powers.

I don't know, they are just assumptions I made up.

How are they? Are they right? :) Come on, you can tell me.

And by the way, in case you're wondering, no, I have not read the rest of the series. If I do, I hope it gets better.

Back in the days when I read online vampire stories, there were so many of them, and they all sounded pretty similar. A human girl. A vampire guy. Love. Vampire guy tries his best not to hurt the girl. He saves her every single damn time she gets into trouble. The stories have worn old for me, I have heard a lot along that line. So Twilight? It is just like those stories I read. AND another minus point of it, is that I absolutely dislike Stephenie Meyer's writing style. Oh and there are just too much elongated, unnecessary scenes that take up 20 pages of the book when it holds no importance at all and could have been condensed into merely 5 pages.

I really don't want to offend Twilight fans (and I know there are many), but really though, in my honest opinion, this book doesn't deserve all the publicity it's getting. Maybe if the writing style is improved, the ideas more imaginative, the story more twisted, I may grow to like it. But not at it's current state, no. I mean... isn't it just painful to read 500 pages of a story you can already imagine before even reading the book? It's like that for me, and it's poorly written.




I also allowed myself to watch the trailer now that I am done with the first volume.



Uh oh. This reminds me of something. Narnia. I have no idea why it does. I never bothered reading the book, but I watched the first movie, and I ABSOLUTELY HATED IT. Oh god did I hate it to the point of shredding away my movie ticket and burning it into ashes. It... oh this is bad... I'm going to get soooo many haters after this post. Yes, I was mortified by the movie, more specifically, the ACTING of the casts. Horrible. Horrible acting. Especially when that girl, what's her name, cried during Aslan's death scene.

"Aslan...! Aslan...!"

...I still remember it clearly, and it is the one scene I think about when somebody mentions "Narnia".

So anyway, back to Twilight. Well, from the trailer, I have a feeling I will be disappointed with the movie... Not that I am expecting anything in the first place, but I just have a feeling that the acting won't be good, and the scenes would be all too cheesy. You know, Twilight is cheesy. Yes it is.

Well, I better stop now before I create a larger fire amongst the fans. Please vote in the poll here, I want to know what you guys think. For people who've read Twilight only please.


Oh and one more thing: do buy the book Dead Until Dark if you come across it. It's better.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,



news


My portfolio/design blog www.vinakosasih.com

Currently still under construction. But I promise it will be up within a few months!


profile

person(s) reading now . <3

Photobucket

Hello. This blog was created for me to store memories. Because... I have a bad memory. hehe



juice-22 EST.2006

Find me on:
deviantART / twitter / tumblr




tagboard




to-do


graduate
christmas break
meet my family
meet gucci polo
meet totoro


shopping list


some simple t-shirts
check out Pull & Bear in London


friends


archive


participate


Website Visitor Tracking


Blog design, logo and images © Juice-22