Hai readers.
How have you been?
Yes I do recall that once, a long time ago, I mentioned that I shall blog much more frequently when uni starts and yes I have been quite active (mentally) for the past few days. With a beautiful long to-do list on my wall, books and course readings that's been feeding my poor little brain, I am at a loss at what to blog about since the fact is: there is nothing to share with you all. gasp.
Well of course not honeys, I always have something at the corner somewhere that I could just rant on. :) Let's talk about... how I have just started my advertising elective this semester and for that purpose, as I was still motivated and fresh (we all know how that feels, that is before reality crushes our initial optimism), I borrowed a book about advertising from the library and this I did purely on my own will (I have become a diligent student it seems). Yeah, whoa.
So I thought this book would help me with my projects and what not, but as I started reading the first chapter of this book, I realised I was on the other side of the fence. The author was practically bashing the practise of advertising, labelling it as a manipulative force that portrays sexism where images of women were used, and promotes objects with highly desirable traits and emotions which thus dehumanises our society with a cynical outlook on human beings, and a love or dependency on products. That's... my summary of it. The first chapter at least.
Yeah I know it sounds like a lot of bull for those who do not believe in the powers of advertising. You're thinking, hey girl I see a whole bunch of ads every single day doesn't make me want to buy the things they're promoting. But really, the most successful ads are those that persuade you silently. It's like you're not even conscious that they are changing the way you feel and think. A piece of flyer that says 'THIS IS THE BEST SOAP YOU CAN GET AND IT'S CHEAP, ONLY $1! GET IT NOW!' in shocking red and yellow and bold texts will probably work, in a sense that it targets those who wants cheap soap. But it won't really help in building the brand of that soap (or attract lots of consumers for that matter). And if you want a long-lasting successful business, the brand image is crucial, right? Those kinds of ads won't help you.
That's why ads are so clever and engaging. Many humorous ads also make you laugh along, without you realising that it is influencing you greatly. Have you ever bought a product just because you liked its ad? I have, many times. Call me guilty but seeing those ads already gave me enough emotional attachment to buy the product even though I might not really like it. For instance, I'm not a big fan of how Flora perfume by Gucci smells, but I am so so so tempted to get myself a bottle because I think the magazine ads were just stunning and the TV commercial was mind-blowing. And the bottle looks classy and I love it! I love everything about it! Except... the scent itself. Design is important isn't it?
And I quote this from the book I borrowed:
'Some of the most talented and creative people in the world are dedicated to this work. Indeed, the most skilful propagandists of our time are not working for dictators, they are certainly not working exclusively for the Democratic party or the Republicans either. They are working for Foote, Cone & Belding, Ogilvy & Mather, and DDB Needham Worldwide.'
Should I put in a reference? Sure...
Kilbourne, J 1999, 'Can't Buy My Love', Introduction p. 27 yeah I know the format is wrong and I didn't even have an in-text reference but whatever...! I am not writing an essay! I have done that yesterday :p :D
Bye guys till my next blog and hopefully this didn't bore you since it really isn't what I usually write about.
Labels: advertising, can't buy my love, design, jean kilbourne