


Hello you all!
Above is my most recent project, a print-based music promotion piece for "Departure in F Minor" by Calexico. I am quite happy with the results, as I was happy with my Chic Handicraft Expo last semester. To be frank, I think all my projects this semester are shit stuff and this is the only one which I finish and can say I'm satisfied.
For me, satisfaction from a project doesn't come down to whether it looks (and functions) great or not. Well, not completely. I had a poster project last semester where my solution looked utterly crap, and yet I was satisfied with it. Simply because I knew how much effort I put into it and I know I have developed a lot working on that project. I really think in university you have to push yourself the hardest, especially because
- Look at the grand amount of resources you have available. All those design books in the library your money definitely can't buy - hoard it while you're a student. I borrowed 13 more thick design books just yesterday and I'm very a happy nerd.
- The briefs you get are so flexible, and mostly hypothetical. With such a great opportunity at hand, push your creativity each time, and don't worry if your solution costs a bit more because it took special paper or printing. Most likely your uni project wouldn't be mass-produced anyway thus you only have one piece and best let that one shine.
- As a student, try as many different styles as possible and find one that you are comfortable with. Personally, I was very much at a loss when I first started and haven't found my style. Only recently has it been coming together bit by bit. Be experimental and look up other design styles and try those you fancy. Then you would pick it up and develop your own. Just like the first time you picked up that pencil to start drawing so many years ago.
- Remember that in uni, it always works out. The worst you can get to is getting a fail (though I do not recommend ever getting that...). You never lose a project or client. My motto is always "in everything you do, learn".
- I feel that being a design student, the grades are not all that important. If you're doing badly now, as long as you keep working hard it's going to be great. They say you can't learn how to be a designer, but I think you can. What you can't do, is learn how to be an artist, but that is on a completely different subject matter altogether.
So my fellow budding designers, best of luck to you all!
Note: I am not at all a good designer. Yet.
Labels: design, designers, RMIT, students, tips, university, visual communication