I have a lecturer. He told me something inspiring the other day as I spoke to him.
He was praising my work, and told me enthusiastically which direction I should take it forward to. I listened to him, and suddenly noticed that his suggestions did not follow the guidelines of the project. I asked him if that would be a problem. He looked at me (with truly the clearest eyes I've ever seen in my life!) and said, "Sometimes when you have something wonderful in your hands, and you know it, you have to give it the glory it deserves. Not change it into something that is what everybody else is doing."
I was really inspired by his words. This is so far from what I've often been told. Follow the guidelines, the rules. He told me that what I was doing was "wonderful", and for a young student, that word really meant a lot to me, regardless of the possibility that he might have thrown the word in casually as foreigners often do.
I know how it feels to have something in you that you love, only to be told by many that it is ugly, told to change to what
they think is better. I know these things cannot be avoided in life. There are too many people in the world and too many different opinions. I asked my brother what he would do if he created something he loved and people told him it wasn't good. His answer was, "If you are going to listen to everyone of them, then you will be like everyone. You need to believe in what you feel is right, because then that will be your personal style. And people will see it."
To be honest I admit I have been taking what people say about me to heart. It has hurt me, confused me and my identity. I will use this post to define some things which say a lot about me, because for me writing/typing always helps put things straight.
1.
Clever design. Something with a good concept is always appreciated.
Concepts can be simple or complex. They surprise and please us.
2.
Simple design. Some people say you shouldn't design something that has no function.
I believe most things have function, and I believe beauty in itself is a function.
3.
Beauty. Be it nature, or people, or music, art, a soul. I have a strong desire to seek beauty. Maybe because I'm a Libra ;) (yep, being stereotypical here!) I love surrounding myself with beauty.
And these usually don't come with a very high price (well not too much).
4.
Jazz, soul, and classical music. They leave a mark in me, and who I am.
If only music in this era could be like how it was back in the past.
Back then music wasn't all about lifestyle and how 'hip' you are.
Allow me to be harsh: mainstream music these days are trash.
Please someone save it.
5.
Nudity. First of all, I love the human body. I love this wonderful art God has created, that is so timeless.
Of course we have all hated our bodies at a point in life. But don't abuse your body. Treat it well, nurture it, and respect it. Second of all, nudity means nothing between your bare skin and the environment. It's a thrill to experience this nature of varied textures and temperatures.
6.
Have you ever experienced the sunrise while barefoot on the beach?
I did once, and it made me feel so alive, and so happy.
7.
Romance. Because I'm a Libra :p
Truth be told I'm a sucker for romance since I was a kid. So good luck Ken! lol
What are some of the things that strongly define who you are? Have you thought about that before?
Well, I have to get back to my (piling) homework so I'll keep you guys posted next time :)
Thanks for reading!
Labels: design, identity