Sleepover... without the sleeping part

Saturday, January 10, 2009


So as some of you know, I have my 4th design project, Lamp Design due soon... Next Thursday to be exact... We are supposed to design our own lamps which shows an Australian feature.
My first design was to create something based on the Aboriginal flag. So I created this, which is still incomplete by the way:
Uh that's only the rough model. I used normal paper there. Yesterday, I went to those shops by the roadside selling building materials and found a material similar to one I wanted:


So I bought it for Rp 60,000. 2 metres.
Everything was going to plan... UNTIL!!!
I made the rest of the design, and the whole thing turned out looking like crap! And thus, I decided that I would change the whole of my design. Anyway, my teacher already commented that those sort of lamps are too common already.
So I spent a whole day thinking... and googling...
Finally I was inspired by a picture of an architectural building I had since quite long ago. I decided to make that. I drew rough sketches.
And then I stopped.
I was... confused. Period. Though it looks simple at first glance, my design is actually rather tricky to make! Especially since the material I already have is quite hard. Started to panick. Then I went to make a call to Susan.
Susan helped me make my 3rd design project, which is my wearable design. We fought through black coloured straws which was peeling all over, tons and tons of double tape, UHU, and black acrylic paint. It was a pain. I couldn't have finished that project in time if it wasn't for her.
Okay back to present. I called Suze and begged her to come over to my house. So she did, and we discussed my designs so far. Then she looked at my design, and we looked at each other in silence for a while. Thinking.
Then we started making the rough model using paper. Susan did the calculations. We actually used tons of maths formula for this project... We used the pythagoras rule, the sin rule, cos rule, and one more which is s=r.(teta). Whoever knew we would actually use these for design! O_o
Finally, we completed the rough model, with calculations of all angles and lengths accurate.
The Australian feature used is the Sydney Opera House:


Actually, I wasn't even thinking of the Opera House when I drew out the design. They just happened to miraculously match.

However! At 9:00pm, Susan was told to go home! And she can never stay over at other people's homes, so we decided last minute that I would go to her house and make the project. I took a shower in the record breaking time of 5minutes.

At her house, we also did her graphic design assignment, which is to make a magazine. We managed to make 2 pages on fashion. Then we went back to the stupid lamp.

Well... I'm not going to describe everything... Just that the whole night consisted of coffee, back aches, shoulder aches, painful hips, paper, gigantic scissors, heavy cutting, x-method, more coffee, iTunes, brief explanation of the Aborigine's history since the British found Botany Bay, brainstorming, thinking, sketching, making small 3d models, thinking out possibilities, measuring, making holes with my compass, stringing pieces together with white strings, playing childish games...

Yeah most of the time we kept drifting off our initial design since it is too damn annoying to make but after lots of sketching of new designs, we still go back to the initial one -_-...

Anyway, you can go to Susan's blog to check out all the photos we took. I have none with me.

We didn't sleep at all. At 5:30AM, we watched the sun rise... unfortunately the sun was behind this stupid blue building, but seeing the sky brighten was satisfying enough since we usually wake up when it's already sunny and bright.

At around 7:00AM, I was already on my breaking limit.... My head was dizzy and my skin prickly. MY BACK AND SHOULDERS HURT LIKE HELL. I had to stretch so many times that night. Even watched this video on Youtube called something like the Top 6 Stretching Methods or the like... hohoho

But at 8:00AM, I was lying on Susan's couch and she was playing Yiruma so beautifully. After 3 songs I fell asleep. I woke up at 10:00AM with her family members bustling about. They have already seen my ugly sleeping posture I'm sure. Well whatever. I went home soon after that.

...Most importantly!

I want to thank my dear dear dear Susan. OMG THANK YOU SO DAMN MUCH. I probably wouldn't even be able to do this whole thing if it weren't for you. And I made you not sleep even though this is my project. Ah see now I feel bad. And thank you for the food and drinks. Also for the wonderful Yiruma songs. I shall go download them now. Aah I don't know how to thank you enough =w=

Well, is all from me now. I cancelled all plans for today since I don't want to fall sick. I have my final exams in 2 weeks see. If possible I'd also like to finish off the lamp by Sunday. Ah well, wish me luck!!!

Labels: , , , , ,



news


My portfolio/design blog www.vinakosasih.com

Currently still under construction. But I promise it will be up within a few months!


profile

person(s) reading now . <3

Photobucket

Hello. This blog was created for me to store memories. Because... I have a bad memory. hehe



juice-22 EST.2006

Find me on:
deviantART / twitter / tumblr




tagboard




to-do


graduate
christmas break
meet my family
meet gucci polo
meet totoro


shopping list


some simple t-shirts
check out Pull & Bear in London


friends


archive


participate


Website Visitor Tracking


Blog design, logo and images © Juice-22